There isn’t just one English, there are many Englishes!
Different Englishes, Different Voices is a look at the major varieties of English in The British Isles plus one of the major, established Englishes of Africa.
The topics covered in the morning session include:
- Different to what? What is standard English?
- Estuary English, RP, BBC and the Queen’s English
- The major national Englishes of the British Isles:-
- The Republic of Ireland
- Northern Ireland
Subjects examined in the afternoon include:
- An overview of regional variations in England and some of the major dialects and accents of England including:-
- The distinct dialect of South African English
Different Voices is a selection of sound clips of various Englishes that will be available to all participants. The course is based on research carried out in over the past decade. There is a set of notes to accompany the course
The course is now retired. It is still available by special order. You provide the audience, I’ll deliver it.